Kelly is fully trained in handfasting and can add it into the wedding ceremony. Handfasting is a tradition that is a promise made between a couple for a year and a day. This is a great way to celebrate a renewal of vows or add it into a wedding ceremony.
Historically it was also used as a betrothal, and at the end of a period which lasted a year and a day the couple could choose another mate or retake their vows and marry for life.
The ceremony involves the tying of hands together with a ceremonial cloth, a cord or colourful ribbons to symbolize the coming together and remaining together.
Can Handfasting Ceremonies Be Personalized?
Absolutely! Handfasting’s can certainly be customized so that they are fun, memorable, and a complete reflection of each couple.
Here are a few ways you can customize a handfasting to fit your style and wishes:
• Family members could come up and take turns wrapping the cord around the couple’s hands. Involving loved ones always adds a special magic to any ritual.
• Use 1 cord or as many as 13 cords – whatever feels right to the couple. 1, 3, and 6 cords are most common.
• Using a rope-style cord tied into a beautiful Celtic knot makes a beautiful display during the ceremony.
• Adding charms or decorations to the ends of the cords is a nice way to personalize the cords.
• Many couples like to choose their own colours for the cords that represent some special meaning in their lives or their relationship.
• The happy couple gets to keep the cord in their home as a sweet reminder of the ceremony. Couples will often bring a special box, cloth bag, or any other decorative container that the cord is placed into after the ritual is complete.